Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

It just occurred to me, again.


If you are an internet-frequenter, you know all about the most recent joke-craze that is "Which way do you insert a roll of toilet paper?" And you've seen the hype. Really, Wikipedia?

I was just looking at a roll; flashed-back to a time in my younger years... let me tell you a story.

 I used to go with my dad to this GIANT(it probably actually is pretty big, but to a 5 year old's eyes, it was bigger) Famous Potato Chip Factory in Ohio, for his night-job: janitorial work. My dad had known a few of the core-men there for a long time, so they were chummy. It was always dark in there, my dad would roll me protectively down a long, empty, dark & creepy hallway... in a clean/dry, empty mop-bucket.
MOST FUN THING EVER.

I would fetch a bucket or two of water for him to mop with, whatever weight my scrawny freckled arms could hold, while I waddled with all my strength to wherever he was standing, to receive compliments on my growing tiny porcelain biceps(run-on-sentence-much?). I also re-filled the toilet paper rolls in the bathrooms, since it was effortless(contrary to popular belief these days, in the adult world). Flash-forward to a couple weeks ago, a friend of mine sent me this picture thru text:
 Right vs. Wrong
[sorry for the quality.]

And my 1st thought was: "Mmkay. Why is this important?"
I also may have been busy at the moment, can't remember.
Either way, I still didn't see(still don't) such an epic issue, as apparently, there is.

Flash-BACK to the Potato Chip Factory. One day, I was there with my dad in the break room & it must have been during the day, 'cause there were PCF employees there, including the redheaded guy my dad was cool with and I may-or-may-not-have-had-a-tiny-bias-crush-on. Regardless, RedheadedGuy started to mention to my dad that the toilet paper rolls had been inserted wrong, with the paper rolled under, instead of over. And I slithered away in shame. I was a very impressionable, overly-sensitive, shy-but-wanted-people-to-know-I-was-funny, skinny, tomboy, girl.

And honestly, I'm kinda embarrassed to say that that moment followed me on and off, for years. Until one day, in my early teens, I had an epiphanic moment:
"PFFFF!!! That guy HAD to be kidding with my dad, 
'cause he knew I was standing there."
Obviously.
I mean, DUH.
Right? Yeah, definitely.

Flash-forward to just a few minutes ago, when I briefly contemplated whether or not this "internet joke" is really worth my breath to scoff over... And I laughed. Ha! In the stall. Maybe my story is now relevant. And MAYBE my Redheaded crush was NOT kidding with my dad, after all.

O_O
whoops.




xo, bex.
-------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. This RedheadedGuy also has an opinion. There is indeed a correct way. I'm sorry. No joke.

    :)

    ReplyDelete